Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Paolino - By The Setting Sun of Lake Aussenalster




On a cool evening after a light rain had just wetted the ground, we stepped into Paolino, an Italian restaurant in Hamburg built on a platform that jutted into Lake Aussenalster. A slightly chilly summer breeze blew fresh scent of the lake which invigorated me after a long working day. We paused in the front of the restaurant taking in the reflection of the setting sun on gently ripping waves as white swans and sailing boats glided by. I felt a tug. Why do beautiful faraway places always reminded one of home or loved ones? I did not know about the food yet but I gave it a perfect 10 for atmosphere.



Inside the restaurant, we chose a table by the window overlooking the water at the majestic Hotel Atlantic with green roof. When I turned and saw a painting on an adjacent wall, it brought a smile. It was as if I was the one been painted that number of years ago for there I was sitting in that exact position. We ordered an Italian red wine recommended by the friendly stout Italian waiter who spoke little English but who understood perfectly what we wanted. The texture of the plain spaghetti with just olive oil was excellent. The lightly flavored succulent lamp chop was the best I have ever eaten. It has no need for mint sauce to overcome any strong taste for it was just mild enough to give it its characteristic flavor. The cooking was so good that I’ve tasted tougher steamed chicken. As I was enjoying the food, a rotund man with flowing white hair stepped out from the kitchen. He surveyed the diners. I gave him a nod in compliment which he returned. He must be that chef that owned this restaurant. There are many pictures of him with celebrities (I presume) hanging on the walls.So if you are in Hamburg, please visit that restaurant and write to me about your experience.




No comments: